Saturday 26 November 2011

The Long Weekend and Dragonmeet 2011

I have some holiday left at the end of the year so, taking a tip from my erstwhile colleague Mr. Woodcock, I have used some of it to have one day off a week in the run up to Christmas, taking two long weekends.

I started by watching my film subscription which turned up Jonah Hex:



Not bad for a pizza movie, but all the action seems to take place in the dark for some reason, which does diminish the fun.

I also watched Hobo with a Shotgun, and immediately wished I hadn't (don't watch this if you're going to watch Blade Runner in the near future. It'll break you heart):



It's sad to see Rutger Hauer reduced to this rubbish. He wasn't half bad, but you can see he's at the fag-end of his career.

Dragonmeet 2011

Because I was able to do some shopping on Friday, I went to a games festival on Saturday at Kensington Town Hall. It was the usual fare, but I got to play a couple of games. The first was called, fittingly, Lancaster, run by the Phoenix Games Club from East London:


Based on Medieval England in the time of the 100 Years war, it takes an hour-and-a-half, five turns, and is a political, military and economic game for up to five players. There are no dice, but some cards, to simulate fortuna. There were three experienced players, one eight year old girl (the daughter of one) and me. I came third and I got a nice logo embossed dice for playing!


Next up was Wings of War run by the Shadow Warriors RPG Club:


The game was catch the pidgeon, shooting down your opponents. I flew an S.E.5a:


and got pretty banged up, but gave as good as I got. A half-hours fun and I enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment