Tuesday 21 May 2013

Oxfam Tuesday - Mobile Phones and Jimmy Cliff

I've finished my exams for the year yesterday, so I was more than glad when Mark asked me to do an afternoon shift at the shop.

It was upstairs, so I got to see Lee on my way out. He was serving a customer who I'd had some problems with a few weeks ago. One of the records he'd bought was scratched and he wanted to have it replaced. Fine. Normally I just either do a refund, find a replacement or have them pick out something of equivalent value. A happy customer is a returning customer. He was a bit funny with me, though, and wanted to listen to the record to see if it was scratched. I didn't know much about the hi-fi in the back and told him as much. He'd obviously told Lee the same story and got his way, playing some C&W stuff. Lee wasn't exactly happy with him either, but he was more philosophical than I.

Other than that, the shift was uneventful. I did get to play some old ska and reggae tunes on the player including this Jimmy Cliff classic:


When the shift ended, we were all setting off to leave when Cherie said that her mobile phone had just started ringing before she had taken her bag out of the locker. It was from someone who was telling her that they'd forgotten their sweater this morning. At one time, I said, people only used the phone when someone had died, or had accepted a proposal of marriage. Now it's whether they've got a headache. Or not, sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment